The Jermantown Cemetery was established by deed on August 24, 1868, made between William T. Rumsey and his wife, Caroline, of the one part, and Alfred Whaley, Thomas Sinkfield, and Milton Brooks, of the other part. Whaley, Sinkfield, and Brooks became trustees of the cemetery on behalf of the colored Lodge #4 Burial Sons and Daughters of the Benevolence of Fairfax County, VA. The cemetery was established as a burial ground for enslaved and freed African Americans. There are 100 marked and unmarked graves Buried are people whose hard work helped to successfully develop Fairfax City and Fairfax County, VA.
.



